Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Final Countdown

Well first off I'd just like to apologize at how utterly horrible this blog looks, but I already had a Google account to make blogs and was too lazy to go elsewhere. So you get a tacky globe and plane background to painfully reinforce the idea that this is indeed my travel blog and that I'm no longer in America.

Except I am. Here I sit in possibly the most unimpressive town (it's not even a town) on Earth, Etowah, North Carolina. It's my last day at home and as my bags are packed and I started my hiatus from work (Ingles Deli, holla) about a week ago, I've nothing to do but while the time away until I finally board those planes and work my way across the globe (see background image). Fervently studying Chinese has been one of my main activities these last few weeks. As is usual, I procrastinated until the last minute to cram traditional characters into my brain and try to remember how to form coherent Chinese sentences. So I'm panicking a little bit, but hey, what's a 14 hour flight from San Francisco to Taipei for? Studying Chinese of course! (Maybe.)


So tomorrow I leave the sleepy "town"/village/collection-of-churches-and-gas-stations that is Etowah and begin my 24 hour journey to Taipei, Taiwan. [HERE'S WHERE IT GETS CLICHÉ AND LAME] I know tomorrow will be very bittersweet as I leave my parents and home and venture into the unkown, but as I've been told ad nauseam, this will be one of the greatest experiences of my life.  Though I am just as terrified as I am excited, I welcome the challenges and once-in-a-lifetime experiences that I will face. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment